The DERE was established on October 21st, 1994, based on recommendations made by the National Task Force on Education, 1993. The DERE is a key player in the process of reforming the Ministry of Education. It is involved in all the initiatives aimed at strengthening the planning, management and implementation capability of the organisation in its thrust for increased efficiency and effectiveness.
The role and function of this Division are:
- To inquire into and inform on the status and circumstances of quality education delivery in the school system and to use the information to generate data which supports high standards and good practice;
- To monitor and evaluate the quality of programmes of the education system;
- The development and maintenance of a system of research and evaluation of the education sector using current information technology;
- The promotion of a research and evaluation culture throughout the education system;
- The generation and sourcing of quality information required for critical decision-making by administrators, teachers, parents and other stakeholders;
- The development, implementation and maintenance of systems for the continuous assessment of student performance at all levels of the education system;
- The development of internal policies, structures and procedures for undertaking and conducting research, sector-wide evaluation and testing and assessment activities;
- The timely publication and dissemination of reports;
- The provision of advice or assistance to other divisions of the Ministry of Education as regards development of internal policies, structures and procedures for undertaking research and evaluation activities;
- The provision of library and information services that support the activities of the Ministry of Education and its various clients;
- Collaboration with other local, regional and international educational institutions and agencies engaged in educational research;
- The identification of strategic partners for undertaking research and evaluation activities;
- The monitoring of projects undertaken by and/or on behalf of the Ministry of Education.