Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION
Education Towers, No. 5 St. Vincent Street, Port of Spain, Trinidad
News Release February 25, 2021
SEA & Concordat Review Committee Established
Cabinet has given approval for the establishment of a committee to further review and recommend changes to the Conduct of SEA and Transition to Secondary School and the Concordat. The Committee’s establishment was initiated following the collation of the outcomes from the National Virtual Consultation on Education 2020: ‘Transforming Education – It takes a Village’ and review of relevant consultation reports. The term of office of the committee shall be nine months, subsequent to which a report will be submitted, including specific recommendations for the consideration of Cabinet.
The Conduct of SEA and Transition to Secondary School and the Concordat Committee will comprise:
- Professor Jerome De Lisle – Professor of Educational Leadership, School of Education, University of the West Indies;
- Harrilal Seecharan– Former Chief Education Officer, Ministry of Education;
- Ruby Alleyne – Vice President, Quality Assurance and Institutional Effectiveness, University of Trinidad and Tobago;
- Bernadine Dick– Instructor, M.Ed. Educational Leadership Programme, School of Education, University of the West Indies;
- Joanne Spence – Behaviour Change Consultant and Lecturer, Oxford Graduate School, The Therapeutic Assessment Centre;
- Sherra Carrington-James– President of the Association of Principals of Public Secondary Schools
- Lance Mottley – President of the National Primary Schools Principal Association
- Sonia Mahase-Persad– President of the Association of Principals of Assisted Secondary Schools
- Tobago House of Assembly (THA) – two representatives;
- National Parent Teachers Association (NPTA) – two representatives;
- Trinidad and Tobago Unified Teachers Association (TTUTA) – two representatives;
- Inter-Religious Organization (IRO) – three representatives;
- Naima Hosein – Director of School Supervision and Management Division – Ministry of Education;
- Peter Smith – Director of Educational Planning Division – Ministry of Education.
The Ministry of Education, during the Virtual National Consultation on Education, committed to providing transparency on the outcomes and subsequent measures to be taken based on feedback. The establishment of this committee is but one of the steps toward making meaningful change based on the suggestions, recommendations and findings from the stakeholder engagement exercise in November to December of 2020.