Special Concessions for Primary and Secondary School Students Writing Local Examinations 2024
THE DEADLINE FOR THE SUBMISSION OF ONLINE APPLICATIONS BY PARENTS/ GUARDIANS IS JUNE 23, 2023.
THE DEADLINE FOR THE SUBMISSION BY SCHOOLS FOR SPECIAL CONCESSIONS IS JULY 7, 2023.
Principals of primary and secondary schools, and private candidates in Trinidad and Tobago are required to complete online applications for the provision of Special Concessions for students with diagnosed disabilities and other special educational needs, who will sit local examinations in 2024.
Special Concessions will be offered to eligible students who are registered for the following local examinations:
- Secondary Entrance Assessment (SEA);
- Lower Secondary Proficiency Examination (LSPE);
- Trinidad & Tobago National Learning Assessment (TTNLA) Primary (Standards 1 & 3); and
- Trinidad & Tobago National Learning Assessment (TTNLA) Secondary (Form 3).
Students may qualify for special concessions under the following circumstances:
a.Students with Learning Disabilities/Neurological/Developmental Disorder:
Applications for students with learning disabilities, neurological or development disorders must be accompanied by bona fide documentation, (valid for a maximum of three (3) years from the date of the assessment), from a professional/organisation qualified to do psycho-educational assessments.
b. Students with Medical, Physical and Sensory Impairments:
Applications for students with medical, physical and sensory impairments must be accompanied by bona fide documentation from a recognised medical institution or professional (valid for a maximum of one (1) year from the date of the assessment).
c.Other special circumstances:
Any other special circumstances, under which a special concession for the day of the examination may be required, should be submitted for the consideration of this Ministry.
Guidelines for Submission of Applications for Special Concessions:
- Applications must be completed by the parent/ guardian via the concessions portal on the prescribed forms available on the Ministry of Education’s website at https://www. concessions.moe.gov.tt.
- Upload a copy of the student’s Birth Certificate along with all supporting documents as identified at items (a) and (b) above.
- Upon submission of the application form, parents /guardians will receive a confirmation e-mail with a reference number. The reference number can be used for any further queries.
- THE DEADLINE FOR THE SUBMISSION OF ONLINE APPLICATIONS BY PARENTS/ GUARDIAN IS JUNE 23, 2023.
- Special Concessions which may be granted and the general criteria for such concessions are stated in the “Policy Guidelines for the Provision of Alternative Arrangements (Special Concessions) for Students Writing Local Examinations”.
- Once a parent submits an online application form for a Special Concessions for a student, the school will receive an email notification requiring the principal to log in the concessions portal.
Principals will be required to complete the School Questionnaire and upload a completed copy of the student’s Cumulative Record Card, a copy of the student’s Birth Certificate MUST be submitted, along with all supporting documents.
- THE DEADLINE FOR THE SUBMISSION BY SCHOOLS FOR SPECIAL CONCESSIONS IS JULY 7, 2023.
- APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY THE MINISTRY OF EDUCATION AFTER THIS DATE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Applications for special concessions resulting from EMERGENCY SITUATIONS ONLY which adversely affect students’ performance may be submitted for consideration after the given deadline date, but no later than one (1) month prior to the examination. Applications received after this deadline, particularly for the Secondary Entrance Examination 2024 may be deferred and processed for the first sitting of the Supplementary (Make-Up) Examination.
- An updated application must be re-submitted for any student previously approved for a special concession, and who is repeating the Secondary Entrance Assessment, or any other local examination.
- Students for whom applications have been submitted may be visited/contacted by officers of the Student Support Services Division, Ministry of Education, for verification of information submitted.
(Please note that this deadline refers only to local examinations, and as such does not refer to the deadline for concessions applications for the CSEC and CAPE Examinations.)
Failure to provide the requested documentation by the stated deadline may result in non-approval of request for special concessions.
The submission of an application does not guarantee its approval.
The Notice of Approval/Non-Approval of Applications for Special Concessions for students writing all Local Examinations in 2024 will be forwarded to the Principals of the respective schools, or to the parents/guardians of private candidates, by the Supervisor of Examinations. If you have not received any feedback on applications submitted by December 8, 2023, please contact the Examination Section via telephone at 622-2181 Ext. 1103, 1106, 1110 and 1113 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Principals are required to bring this information to the attention of the teachers and parents of all students who are eligible for any of the examinations identified.
Please be guided accordingly.