The Ministry of Education has responsibility for the management of all public Early Childhood Care Education (ECCE), Primary, Secondary and Tertiary education institutions and oversight of all private education institutions in Trinidad and Tobago (in conjunction with the Tobago House of Assembly’s Education, Research and Technology Division).
Conveniently located on lower St. Vincent Street, downtown Port of Spain, the Ministry is a one-stop hub for all education-related matters. The Ministry’s head office is comprised of two structures: Tower A, which has sixteen floors that houses its administrative operations and Tower B, a five-storey building that houses the Finance and Accounts Division. With most of its customer-accessed services located in Tower A, including a dedicated customer service area, stakeholders have ready access to all of their information needs.
Vision & Mission
The Ministry of Education is a high-achieving, people-centred, proactive organisation capable of harnessing and releasing the innate dynamism, innovativeness and intellect of the 21st century learner, intent on building human resource capacity in pursuit of national sustainable development.
To educate learners to achieve their full potential and become productive citizens who are imbued with the characteristics of resilience, goodwill, honesty, respect, tolerance, integrity, benevolence, civic pride, social justice and community spirit.
Goal One: Effective Governance and Administration of the Education System
- To provide effective management and administration of the education system;
- To review the legislative framework to encompass all levels of education;
- To conduct research to inform policy development;
- To develop and implement a Monitoring and Evaluation Framework to ensure efficiency, effectiveness and value for money;
- To ensure the education sector is adequately funded; and
- To collaborate and communicate with stakeholders in education.
Goal Two: Access to Educational Opportunities by All Learners
- To provide adequate funding and financial support to students to facilitate access to education;
- To meet the needs of the full spectrum of learners; and
- To provide a safe, secure and conducive learning environment.
Goal Three: Quality Education Provided at All Levels
- To advance continuous curriculum planning and ensure effective delivery;
- To ensure continuous Teacher training and professional development;
- To ensure programmes are relevant and responsive, equipping students with 21st century skills in order to contribute to sustainable national development goals;
- To ensure quality teaching for every student; and
To provide the educational support services necessary to optimise the teaching and learning process.
Boards & Committees
The following boards are affiliated to the Ministry of Education. These boards were established by an act of parliament and work in close collaboration to help the Ministry accomplish its vision and mission.
•The College of Science, Technology and Applied Arts of Trinidad and Tobago (COSTATT)
•National Training Agency (NTA)
•National Schools Dietary Services Limited (NSDSL)
•Youth Training & Employment Partnership Programme (YTEPP)
•The National Institute of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology (NIHERST)
•Accreditation Council of Trinidad & Tobago (ACTT)
•The Government Assistance for Tuition Expenses Programme (GATE)
•Cabinet Appointed SEA Committee
•National Advisory Committee on Education
Ministry of Education
Education Towers, No. 5 St. Vincent Street, Port of Spain
The following divisions and units can be found offsite, at the following locations:
Funding and Grants Administration Division
Warner Street, St. Augustine
Phone: 1-868 800-GATE (4283) or 1-868-663 – 0244 Email: email@example.com
Rudranath Capildeo Learning Resources Centre (RCLRC)
Southern Main Road, McBean Village, Couva
Phone:1-868-636-1069 Email :firstname.lastname@example.org
Education District Offices
- Caroni Education District – Old Couva West Secondary School, Balisier Street, Couva
Phone: 1-868-636-4800 Email: email@example.com
- North Eastern Education District – Savi Street, Boodooville, Sangre Grande
Phone: 1-868-668-6256 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Port of Spain and Environs Education District –Jerningham Avenue, Port of Spain
Phone: 1-868-623-2315 Email: email@example.com
- South Eastern Education District – No. 87 High Street, Rio Claro
Phone: 1-868-644-2995 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- St. George East Education District – 2A Eastern Main Road Tunapuna Opposite Exodus Pan Yard Green Building
Phone: 1-868-645-7516 / 7520 Email: email@example.com
- St. Patrick Education District – No. 101 Farah Street, San Fernando
Phone: 1-868-653-8957 / 3445 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Victoria Education District – Nos. 16 -22 Sutton Street, San Fernando
Phone: 1-868-653 0035 / 657 8829 Email: email@example.com
- Division of Education, Innovation and Energy – Dutch Fort Plaza, Dutch Fort, Tobago
Phone: 1-868-299-0781 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ministry of Education
No. 5 St. Vincent Street,
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago