The Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP) is a low interest loan facility which provides financial assistance to the citizens of Trinidad and Tobago who have a continued period of residency of at least three (3) years prior to application.
The HELP is managed by the Funding and Grants Administration Division (FGAD) of the Ministry of Education and covers tuition and non-tuition expenses related to tertiary education.
Student Eligibility for HELP
In addition to assisting students who benefit from GATE funding, the HELP has been expanded to allow the following students, access to loans:
- Students who are not eligible for GATE funding (e.g. students who possess a Bachelor’s degree or other certification)
- Students enrolled in programmes approved by the Accreditation Council of Trinidad and Tobago (ACTT)
- Students enrolled in Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) programmes at Level III or above
- Students pursuing postgraduate studies that are in alignment with the strategic development of Trinidad and Tobago
- Students under the age of fifty (50) years
- Students whose household income is less than $75,000 per month.
HELP covers part, or all, of the following tertiary education expenses where applicable:
- Tuition fees
- Accommodation expenses
- Other relevant transportation costs and living expenses
- Books and related materials
- Other related tertiary expenses
Quantum of Loans Available
- Loans shall not normally exceed $35,000 per year for 3 years for students pursuing programmes within Trinidad and Tobago, and $75,000 per year for 3 years for those students pursuing programmes at the regional campuses of the University of the West Indies.
- Loans for students enrolled in medical programmes in Trinidad and Tobago would not exceed $175,000 for the five-year period of study
- Loans for Trinidad and Tobago students enrolled in medical programmes at approved regional institutions would not exceed $375,000 for the five-year period of study.
The HELP Application Process:
- Students are required to submit the following to the Loans Department of his/her commercial bank:
- Their completed HELP application forms,
- All required documents to be attached to the form including a Letter of Acceptance from the tertiary level institution,
- The Bank will assess the application for completeness and will forward the completed HELP Loan applications to the Director, FGAD at the Ministry of Education for final determination.
- The Ministry will inform the Bank of its decision within six (6) weeks after the date of the receipt of the application from the Bank
- Other terms and conditions apply
HELP Application Forms: Click here>>
- All branches of the participating commercial banks namely:
- Scotiabank Trinidad and Tobago Limited
- First Citizens Bank limited
- Royal Bank Canada Trinidad and Tobago Limited
- Republic Bank limited
Funding and Grants Administration Division
#16 Warner Street,
Tel: (868) 663 0244 ext. (531) 2040 or 2062